A Multithematic Infrastructure
The geographical data present on Sextant derives from the research projects and scientific works at both Ifremer and its partner laboratories. This thematic data is aggregated and finalised, and some of it becomes benchmark data.
Marine Themes :
- Satellite, aerial and acoustic imaging
- the physical environment : bathymetry, sedimentology, morphology, hydrodynamics, climatology
- the biological environment : remarkable habitats, benthic populations, marine mammals, fisheries management, biogeochemistry, microbiology
- human use and activity : Commercial fishing, aquaculture, maritime navigation, tourism and sailing, surveillance networks
- regulatory data : zones Natura 2000, Znieff, OSPAR, etc.
- administrative boarders at sea : exclusive economic area, FAO areas, ICES statistical rectangles, etc.
An Infrastructure with Many Diverse Partners and Projects
Sextant meets the needs of different projects from the regional level to an international scale, including overseas territories:
- European Projects: Emodnet, Copernicus, Seadatanet, Charm
- French national projects: Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD), Marine aggregate, Renewable Marine Energy Planning, Water Framework Directive (WFD)
- Regional Projects: Rebent, Medbenth, Ogive Agil
- Projects in Overseas Territories: Indian Ocean, New Caledonia, French West Indies
The list and the description of the catalogues can be found under the "Thematic Catalogues" tab.
Interoperability of Metadata, Data and Services
Meeting internationally recognised ISO and OGC standards, Sextant is an interoperable system which enables the exchange of geographical data with the majority of France's state organisations and services (DREAL, DEAL, DIRM, DAM, CEREMA, marine administrative offices, etc.) with the institute's many scientific partners (IRD, Aamp, MNHN, the department for coastal conservation, universities (CNRS)) and France's largest data producers; IGN, SHOM and BRGM.
Via interoperable services, Sextant data is accessible from several sources:
- Regional Platforms
- French National Marine Observatory (Observatoire National de la Mer et du Littoral)
- French National Geocatalogue
- European Inspire Geoportal
- French National Open Data portal