EMODnet Digital Bathymetry (DTM 2020)
The "EMODnet Digital Bathymetry (DTM)- 2020" is a multilayer bathymetric product for Europe’s sea basins covering:
• the Greater North Sea, including the Kattegat and stretches of water such as Fair Isle, Cromarty, Forth, Forties,Dover, Wight, and Portland
• the English Channel and Celtic Seas
• Western Mediterranean, the Ionian Sea and the Central Mediterranean Sea
• Iberian Coast and Bay of Biscay (Atlantic Ocean)
• Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean)
• Aegean - Levantine Sea (Mediterranean).
• Madeira and Azores (Macaronesia)
• Baltic Sea
• Black Sea
• Norwegian and Icelandic Seas
• Canary Islands (Macaronesia)
• Arctic region and Barentz Sea
The DTM is based upon more than 16360 bathymetric survey data sets and Composite DTMs that have been gathered from 49 data providers from 24 countries riparian to European seas. Also Satellite Derived Bathymetry data products have been included derived from Landsat 8 and Sentinel satellite images. Areas not covered by observations are completed by integrating GEBCO 2020 and IBCAO V4.
The source reference layer in the portal viewing service gives metadata of the data sets used with their data providers; the metadata also acknowledges the data originators. The incorporated survey data sets itself can be discovered and requested for access through the Common Data Index (CDI) data discovery and access service that in December 2020 contained > 30.000 survey data sets from European data providers for global waters. This discovery service makes use of SeaDataNet standards and services and have been integrated in the EMODnet portal ( https://emodnet.ec.europa.eu/en/bathymetry#bathymetry-services ). The Composite DTMs are described using the Sextant Catalogue Service that makes also use of SeaDataNet standards and services. Their metadata can be retrieved through interrogating the Source Reference map in the Central Map Viewing service ( https://emodnet.ec.europa.eu/geoviewer/ ).
In addition, the EMODnet Map Viewer gives users wide functionality for viewing and downloading the EMODnet digital bathymetry such as:
• water depth (refering to the Lowest Astronomical Tide Datum - LAT) in gridded form on a DTM grid of 1/16 * 1/16 arc minute of longitude and latitude (ca 115 * 115 meters).
• option to view depth parameters of individual DTM cells and references to source data
• option to download DTM in 58 tiles in different formats: ESRI ASCII, XYZ, EMODnet CSV, NetCDF (CF), GeoTiff and SD
• option to visualize the DTM in 3D in the browser without plug-in
• layer with a number of high resolution DTMs for coastal regions
• layer with wrecks from the UKHO Wrecks database.
The EMODnet DTM is also available by means of OGC web services (WMS, WFS, WCS, WMTS), which are specified at the EMODnet Bathymetry portal.
The original datasets themselves are not distributed but described in the metadata services, giving clear information about the background survey data used for the DTM, their access restrictions, originators and distributors and facilitating requests by users to originator.
Citation proposal Proposition de citationEMODnet Bathymetry Consortium (2020).EMODnet Digital Bathymetry (DTM 2020).EMODnet Bathymetry Consortium